My Collage and Printing

Hi all,

I’m going to be following along as well in our screenprinting journey.  Both to learn as well as to gain first hand experience for the flow of the course.

Coating a screen went pretty smooth. This is the fourth time I have done it. The coat was even.  After exposure however, the stencil had some jaggedy lines.  Maybe that is due to too thin of a coat?

This was my first time using india ink, oil pastel, rubylith, and found objects for an exposure.  I also used sharpie, and printed film.


The ink and oil pastel on the mylar did not work for me.  You can see in the image how the stencil fell apart. Also the printed Wachiay logo did not expose well.  Upon closed look at it, it lets a lot of light through, so I wonder if it wasn’t printed as rich black?

Everything else exposed pretty well.  The rubylith took a lot of patience to cut out!

Here is how it looks printed:


For printing on the fabric, sometime the seams of the clothing got in the way and didn’t provide good contact.  That was an issue with the pants in the photo above, but I touched up the errors by hand, adding extra ink.

My screen had many different little images, and taping up the images I didn’t want to print was messy and difficult.

This is me gathering some found objects

2 comments

  1. Awesome! You got some really nice exposures, they look really good.

  2. Awesome! – one reason the mylar may not have burned well……you can see the stencil is thinner where the mylar sheet is – because it is translucent (and not clear like the inkjet film) it actually blocks more UV light going through….and so that particular part is underexposed….which delaminates during washout.

    The solution would be to increase your time, although you have to be careful, because an increase in exposure time can burn out and fill in fine detail on the stencil.

    Exposure is always a balancing act. Keep notes on what works and what doesn’t.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *